Everything is larger than life in the Lone Star State, so we’re bringing a larger than life list of the best songs about Texas. How does that sound, y’all?
These Texas songs show the pride, hardships, and joy of such an incredible state and its people.
Beyond that, you’ll find famous songs about Texas, including songs that mention Texas.
Whether you’re going on a road trip in the state or just feeling nostalgic, here are a bunch of pop and country songs about Texas.
Best Songs About Texas
Looking for new songs for your Texas playlist? Read on!
Most Famous Songs About Texas
1. All My Ex’s Live in Texas by George Strait
As one of the most famous country songs about Texas, All My Ex’s Live in Texas is perhaps George Strait’s most recognizable song. It was released in 1986.
Read next: Facts About Texas
2. Beautiful Texas by Willie Nelson
Beautiful Texas was released in 1968 by Willie Nelson on his Texas in My Soul album.
3. God Blessed Texas by Little Texas
Released in 1993, this tune was Little Texas’ second song from their album Big Time.
4. If You’re Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band) by Alabama
Released in 1984 on their album Roll On, this Texas song was a Number One on Billboard Hot Country Singles chart.
5. London Homesick Blues by Gary P. Nunn and Jerry Jeff Walker
This Texas song was released in 1973 on Jerry Jeff Walker’s album Viva Terlingua.
6. Miles and Miles of Texas by Bob Wills
This great tune was released in the early 21st century.
7. Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan
Texas Flood was first released in 1958 by Larry Davis and Vaughan’s cover in 1983.
8. Texas (When I Die) by Tanya Tucker
This Texas song was co-written and originally recorded by American country music artist Ed Bruce. Bruce’s version peaked at number 52 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart in 1977.
Newish Songs About Texas
9. Dime Store Cowgirl by Kacey Musgraves
Released in 2015, Dime Store Cowgirl was nominated for Song of the Year at the 2016 Americana Music Honors & Awards.
10. Lubbock or Leave it by The Chicks
This is a funny Texas song that pokes fun at the Christian Right.
11. The Lubbock Tornado by Terry Allen
12. Screw You We’re From Texas by Ray Wylie Hubbard
Texans say they have never been more proud to be a Texan after this song.
13. Travis County by Gary Clark Jr.
What a brilliant live performance.
14. Texas On My Mind by Pat Green
This song is a classic in country music!
15. Texas Pride by Miranda Lambert
The song title, “Texas Pride” pretty much says it all. This girl is proud to be from the Lone Star state.
16. Texas Sun by Leon Bridges and Khruangbin
Can we take a moment to appreciate how this feeds the soul?
17. Texas Time by Keith Urban
One of the best songs on the album.
18. Texas Was You by Jason Aldean
19. Too Far From Texas by Stevie Nicks
It’s a song about what it’s like to be “the other woman”: the singer’s in love with a guy who’s already married. To make matters worse, she lives in Texas and he lives in England.
20. Wheels Of Laredo by The Highwomen
This song is also on Tanya Tucker’s album “While I’m Livin’ (2019).
Old Songs About Texas
21. Aggie War Hymn by J.V. ‘Pinky’ Wilson
Written in 1918 by J.V. “Pinky Wilson”, a former Aggie and WWI veteran, the Aggie War Hymn is one of the most important traditions at Texas A&M University. It is traditionally (and most notably) sung before the 4th quarter of all home games at Kyle Field.
22. Deep Elem Blues by The Shelton Brothers
“Deep Elem Blues” is a traditional American folk song written about a neighborhood in East Dallas, Texas named Deep Ellum. This neighborhood has a rich history, in particular as an industrial area, arts and entertainment district, and African-American community and cultural center.
23. Deep in the Heart of Texas by Gene Autry
“Deep in the Heart of Texas” is an American popular song elaborating on the merits of the state of Texas.
24. Fighter, Raiders, Fight by Vic Williams and John J. Tatgenhorst
Fight, Raiders, Fight is the fight song of the Texas Tech Red Raiders. It was written by Vic Williams and John J. Tatgenhorst in Lubbock.
25. Red River Valley by Woody Guthrie
“Red River Valley” is a folk song and cowboy music standard of uncertain origins that has gone by different names (such as “Cowboy Love Song”, “Bright Sherman Valley”, “Bright Laurel Valley”, “In the Bright Mohawk Valley”, and “Bright Little Valley.”
26. T is for Texas (Blue Yodel No. 1) by Jimmie Rodgers
The blue yodel songs are a series of thirteen songs written and recorded by Jimmie Rodgers, and the original issue of “Blue Yodel No. 1 (T for Texas)” sold more than a half million copies, a phenomenal number at the time.
27. West Texas Waltz by Butch Hancock
As good as music gets.
28. Texas Lullaby by David Allan Coe
One of the BEST country songs ever. It will make your soul fly, happy & free.
29. Texas, Our Texas by William J. Marsh
This Texas song is actually the official Texas state song.
30. Texas Tornado by Tracy Lawrence
Texas Tornado is a country song recorded by Tracy Lawrence in 1995 and it became a 33. Number One hit ont he Bilbbboard country single charts.
31. Waltz Across Texas by Ernest Tubb
This song will leave you speechless.
Songs About Texas & Texan Towns
32. Abilene by Waylon Jennings
33. Amarillo By Morning by George Strait
Written by Terry Stafford and Paul Fraser, this 1973 song is sung from the point of view of a rodeo cowboy, driving at night from San Antonio to a county fair in Amarillo, that will begin the following morning.
34. Austin by Blake Shelton
The song tells the story of a woman trying to get in touch with a long lost love. She calls his phone and hears his answering machine, a message that acknowledges her by the name “Austin,” the town she moved to after their breakup.
35. Corpus Christi Bay by Robert Earl Keen
Great song to hear when heading over to Corpus Christi.
36. Dallas by Jimmie Dale Gilmore
“…But I came into Dallas with a dollar and a dime”
37. Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind? by George Strait
George Strait is probably one of the greatest names in country music from Texas and is considered the King of Country.
38. El Paso by Marty Robbins
This song won the Grammy Award for Best Country & Western Recording of 1960. It’s a story song, sung in the first person about forbidden love and a jealous boyfriend.
39. Galveston by Glen Campbell
Unsurprisingly, this tune is considered the official song of Galveston.
40. Houston by R.E.M.
41. La Grange by ZZ Top
Definitely one of the greatest bands of all time.
42. Luckenbach, Texas by Waylon Jennings
An awesome classic!
43. New San Antonio Rose by Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
New San Antonio Rose is the song with the lyrics, recorded April 16, 1940, while San Antonio Rose is an instrumental recorded November 28, 1938.
Songs That Mention Texas (Or Are Related To)
44. Bob Wills is Still the King by Waylon Jennings
Waylon Jennings scored one of his signature hits with this song, an homage to one of his heroes and a not-so-subtle dig at friend/collaborator/rival/fellow Texan Willie Nelson.
45. Duello nel Texas by Ennio Morricone
46. Eve’s Daughter by Amanda Shires
47. (Get Your Kicks on) Route 66 by Bobby Troup
48. Home on the Range by Dr. Brewster M. Higley
49. Jack Straw by Grateful Dead
50. Love at the Five and Dime by Nanci Griffith
51. On the Trail of the Buffalo by Bob Dylan
52. The Hill Country Theme by Willie Nelson
53. The Lone Ranger by Gioachino Rossini
54. The Yellow Rose of Texas by many artists, including Elvis Presley
The Yellow Rose of Texas is a traditional American folk song dating back to at least the 1850s.
Did we miss your favorite Texas song? Then let us know in the comments! We’d love to hear from you!
- 24 Nevada Facts: Fun Facts About Nevada Hidden In Plain Sight - September 29, 2023
- 26 Oklahoma Facts: Fun Facts About Oklahoma You Need to Know - September 20, 2023
- 23 Fun Things to Do in Dallas with Kids - August 23, 2023